Sunday 22 April 2018

The main reason we are in Amsterdam is to go to Keukenhof – the park of tulips. The plan was to go yesterday, but then we found out that the roads would be closed for a flower parade. So that plan was quickly scrapped.

So going today instead.

We had been planning on heading to the park after lunch. But after reading reports of very long queues and journey times, we thought it might be a good idea to go earlier. Just in case.

So a shame we missed our morning in the city!

Instead, we just wandered up to the park with the iamsterdam sign and the museums. It was already packed full of people.

The bus to the airport left from a stop next to the park. And the bus was packed. We were cramped and standing the whole 35 minutes to the airport.

We got to the airport around 11.15am. And the queue for the Keukenhof bus was insane. It was wrapping all around the outside of the airport terminal. So we joined it.

And waited.

And waited.

Nearly an hour later, we made it to a bus. And standing only. So I sat on the floor.

It took just over half an hour to reach the park. Through some of the tulip fields – so cool.

The entrance was very busy. People everywhere. But no real queue to go in.

The park was relatively large. And very busy.

It was now nearly 1pm, so we found a place to sit on a fountain to have our packed lunch (!) before heading off to explore.

There were different areas – views of the surrounding tulip fields. A windmill. A lake. A woodland area. Several indoor displays. And lots of grassy areas that you could sit and rest.

It was nice. Despite all the hassle. And crowds.

After about 3pm, it felt a bit quieter.

We headed out of the park at 4pm. We didn’t really need to leave until later, but had no idea what the bus queue would look like.

The queue wasn’t too bad. Could have been worse! Again, there was a long queue of buses – they were just filling up, then heading off. It took just over 20 minutes until we made it on a bus.

The drive back to the airport took an hour. We went a really long way around in a big loop. Then got stuck in a traffic jam.

So it was 5.30pm by the time we got to the airport. Our flight is at 7.15pm.

Scanning was quick in the priority lane! The lounge was ok – nice views and very quiet. But lack of food. So lucky we had bought some food at Leon before passing through security.

Back to London for a few weeks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s